Job Title: Integration Engineer
Reports to: Director, Integration
FLSA Status: Full‐Time, Exempt
Health Current is the health information exchange (HIE) that helps partners transform care by bringing together communities and information across Arizona. More complete information is more meaningful and leads to better care and better outcomes. It makes healthcare transformation possible. That’s why we’ve worked for more than ten years to become Arizona’s primary resource for information technology and exchange, integrating information with the delivery of care to improve the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities. As we’ve grown, our core goal has remained the same: help providers use information technology to improve people’s lives.
The Integration Engineer supports and performs feasibility, analytical, and cost/benefit studies regarding clinical interfaces; performs data mapping data translations and transformations; ensures system integrity, compatibility, standardization and security; coordinates the development, implementation and maintenance of data interfaces to the various participant EHR applications. This position is based in Phoenix, Arizona.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provides interface design (data mapping, translation and transformation specifications) and architectural services for new and existing projects.
- Create and modify system participation requirements and system metrics to maintain optimized systems
- Collaborates with vendors, administrators and owners of third-party databases to establish data mapping plans and methods, enabling the sharing of data with Health Current.
- Designs and develops common application services for re-use across multiple projects.
- Facilitates definition and maintenance of a core data set of clinical, financial and administrative data elements for testing and quality control.
- Develops computer testing and audit policies and assists end users in implementing auditing controls to ensure that defined, mission-critical interfaces are passing data accurately.
- Works with end users to define reporting needs and to develop appropriate access strategies based on need and available technologies.
- Develops data mapping, translation and transformation routines and methods utilizing Mirth Connect Interface Engine tool set and standard query and database tools, and ensures that adequate documentation is developed and maintained for each interface.
- Conducts testing of all mapping, translation and transformation routines prior to moving interfaces into production.
- Implements approved changes to electronic interfaces to clinical systems; coordinates and maintains the electronic interfaces’ security.
- Maintains both a test and production library of interfaces and applies appropriate methods, procedures and safeguards to protect the integrity of the interfaces and to ensure their recoverability.
- Maintains an adequate testing and production environment. To include
- Evaluates and tests emerging technologies and tools.
- Maintains a library of all required standard vocabularies and nomenclatures used in normalizing inbound and outbound data feeds.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the capabilities and use of Mirth Connect required; Mirth certification preferred.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with JAVA script development required.
- Strong analysis and design skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong working knowledge of HL7 v2.x, HL7 v3.x, XML, and C-CDA standards and protocols, along with IHE profiles as they relate to electronic data interfaces and data exchange.
- Strong working knowledge of healthcare clinical codes sets such as LOINC, CPT, ICD, RxNorm, etc. required.
- Strong understanding of the "team dynamic" and the ability to lead groups.
- Works closely with the PMO.
- Works closely with Client Support Team.
- Works closely with Data Analytics Team
- Ability to anticipate problems and take decisive action, giving regard to impact on all stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and allocate assigned resources to ensure projects are efficiently and effectively completed.
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently develop, test and operationalize electronical data interfaces.
- Ability to convey a strong presence and professional image.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment and consistently meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as ability to effectively work in a team environment and maintain strong working relationships.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office tool set (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; Visio & Project preferred).
5-10 years of experience in the design, development, maintenance and support of electronic data interfaces utilizing Health Currents HIE application software required. Bachelor’s Degree in information systems or related field required. Graduate degree preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. This includes availability to work non-regular hours as necessary, ability to periodically drive to and from clients, conferences and events, and limited travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. An employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and talk or hear.